Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,384 pages of information and 216,991 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Welham Clarke (1829-1877)
1829 Born at Henstead, Suffolk, the son of Charles Clarke (1795-1857) and his wife Anne Browne.
1878 Obituary 
MR. WILLIAM WELHAM CLARKE was educated at the College for Civil Engineers at Putney, and obtained the College diploma.
Between the years 1848 and 1855 he was in the employment of the Messrs. Lucas, contractors, as agent for conducting works, and was engaged on the City of Norwich Waterworks, the Great Yarmouth Waterworks, the Lowestoft Waterworks, the filters at Royal Mills, Esher, the Lowestoft drainage, and numerous building works, chiefly in the Eastern courities.
In the year 1855 he entered the service of the Hon. East India Company as a special Engineer, and in the following year was graded in the Public Works Department as Executive Engineer, 4th class, attaining the 1st class in 1865.
In India he had charge of the construction of barracks and public buildings at Agra, of the rebuilding a church at Muttra, of the construction of suspension bridges in Kumaon and Gurhwal in the Himalayas, of the Rohilcund State Railway Survey, of the Kumaon Ironworks, of the Bundelcund Irrigation Works, of the Rohilcund Imperial road, and of the Gwalior roads.
He was in England during part of 1867 and 1868, and after returning to India had charge of the Benares division of roads till 1872, when he was transferred to Rajpootana for the purpose of designing irrigation works in Mhairwara.
Subsequently, in December of that year, he was posted to the Western Rajpootana railway survey, of which during three months in 1875 he officiated as Engineer in Chief.
Early in January 1876 he obtained twelve months’ leave of absence on medical certificate, and on the 27th of July, 1877, died of abscess in the bronchial tubes. He twice received the commendation of the Government of India for his services.
Mr. Clarke was elected a Member of the Institution on the 7th of April, 1868.