Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,143 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of South Shields
1790 L. Wright and Son began making Wright's ship biscuits
1898 After a fire new buildings were constructed at Tyne Dock.
1933 New company incorporated: L. Wright and Sons (1933) Ltd. New management took over the business
1936 Public company incorporated as Wright's Biscuits Ltd to acquire the previous company but no shares offered to the public
WWII Production was day and night for the Army. Around 300 employees, mostly women, worked in shifts.
1960 Acquired the outstanding shares of their subsidiary Wright's Cakes
1962 Unwilling to invest in a national daily van sales organisation for cakes, the company sold its Birkenhead cake factory to J. Lyons and Co and ran down the Wright's Cakes business. The company had a large stake in the Newcastle based Moores Stores
1962 Had 750 retail outlets including 31 self-service stores
1972 The biscuit making parts of the business were sold to United Biscuits