1906 A type of torpedo boat
1906 Description of the boat in The Engineer 1906/01/26: Trial run of a new petrol launch built at Messrs. Yarrow and Co.'s works at Poplar. The craft was 60ft. in length by 9ft. beam. It was built for use as a second-class torpedo boat, and if used for this purpose the tube would be carried aft, and a quick-firing gun in the bows. A peculiarly shaped hull, with a flat bottom, has been adopted, giving extra speed because the bows of the boat rise and glide rather than cut through the water.
The petrol engines, made to the designs of Mr. Napier (is this Montague Napier?), develop about 300 horse -power. There are three units driving three propellers. The starboard and port engines are of 120 horse-power each, and there is a smaller unit at the centre of the boat which develops 60 horse-power.
A speed of 26·15 knots, slightly over 30 miles an hour, was reported. Such speed had never before been attained in a vessel of this size propelled by steam machinery.