Archibald Orr Ewing and Co: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
|||
Line 4: | Line 4: | ||
1850 Archibald Orr Ewing considerably expanded the Levenfield bleach field to handle Turkey red and fancy yarn dyeing. | 1850 Archibald Orr Ewing considerably expanded the Levenfield bleach field to handle Turkey red and fancy yarn dyeing. | ||
By 1886 Archibald Orr Ewing and Co was one of 3 firms, all in the Vale of Leven, who dominated the Turkey-red dying trade in Scotland; between them they employed 7000 hands and annually produced 5.5 million pieces of cloth, and nearly twenty million pounds of yarn. | |||
1898 The [[United Turkey Red Co]] was incorporated through the amalgamation of the Dunbartonshire Turkey-red dyeing firms of [[John Orr Ewing and Co]], [[Archibald Orr Ewing and Co]] and [[William Stirling and Sons]]. | 1898 The [[United Turkey Red Co]] was incorporated through the amalgamation of the Dunbartonshire Turkey-red dyeing firms of [[John Orr Ewing and Co]], [[Archibald Orr Ewing and Co]] and [[William Stirling and Sons]]. |
Latest revision as of 12:30, 10 January 2018
One of the West Scotland Turkey-red dyeing firms, of Levenfield
1845 Archibald Orr Ewing left Croftingea Works when his brother, John, retired in 1845. Archibald decided to to build his own textile business and acquired the Levenbank Works which had been established by Watson, Arthur and Co in 1784 as block printers of small items of clothing.
1850 Archibald Orr Ewing considerably expanded the Levenfield bleach field to handle Turkey red and fancy yarn dyeing.
By 1886 Archibald Orr Ewing and Co was one of 3 firms, all in the Vale of Leven, who dominated the Turkey-red dying trade in Scotland; between them they employed 7000 hands and annually produced 5.5 million pieces of cloth, and nearly twenty million pounds of yarn.
1898 The United Turkey Red Co was incorporated through the amalgamation of the Dunbartonshire Turkey-red dyeing firms of John Orr Ewing and Co, Archibald Orr Ewing and Co and William Stirling and Sons.
The company continued until 1911 when it was partially closed.
1919 The company fully closed.