Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,701 pages of information and 247,104 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Rover Cycle Co: Difference between revisions

From Graces Guide
No edit summary
No edit summary
 
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 4: Line 4:
[[image:Im19040323Cyc-Rover.jpg|thumb| March 1904. Imperial Rover. ]]
[[image:Im19040323Cyc-Rover.jpg|thumb| March 1904. Imperial Rover. ]]
[[Image:Im20100526Dumf-Cy15.jpg|thumb| c1905. Rover Imperial Ladies Roadster. Exhibit at the [[Scottish Cycle Museum]]. ]]
[[Image:Im20100526Dumf-Cy15.jpg|thumb| c1905. Rover Imperial Ladies Roadster. Exhibit at the [[Scottish Cycle Museum]]. ]]
[[Image:Im1905AH-Rover.jpg|thumb| 1905. 8-h.p. car. ]]


Formerly [[J. K. Starley and Co]]
Formerly [[J. K. Starley and Co]]
Line 15: Line 16:
[[Ernest Forrester]] joined as Chief Tester
[[Ernest Forrester]] joined as Chief Tester


1904 Announced details of a small car designed by [[E. W. Lewis]]<ref>[[The Engineer 1904/10/07]]</ref>
1904 Announced details of a small car designed by [[Edmund Woodward Lewis|E. W. Lewis]]<ref>[[The Engineer 1904/10/07]]</ref>


1905 The company's name was changed in November to the [[Rover|Rover Co]].  
1905 The company's name was changed in November to the [[Rover|Rover Co]].  

Latest revision as of 12:22, 23 November 2019

April 1899. Ladies Imperial Rover.
1904.
March 1904. Imperial Rover.
c1905. Rover Imperial Ladies Roadster. Exhibit at the Scottish Cycle Museum.
1905. 8-h.p. car.

Formerly J. K. Starley and Co

1896 A public company, the Rover Cycle Co, was registered on 13 June, to take over the business of J. K. Starley and Co. Directors are: F. D. Dixon-Hartland, Alfred H. Griffiths, Richard R. Beard and J. K. Starley. The works consisted of three factories and a floor area of more than 40,000 square feet. [1] [2]

1896 Other records say Harry Smith was MD at this time

Designer Edmund W. Lewis joined from Daimler

Ernest Forrester joined as Chief Tester

1904 Announced details of a small car designed by E. W. Lewis[3]

1905 The company's name was changed in November to the Rover Co.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Times, Monday, Jun 15, 1896
  2. The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
  3. The Engineer 1904/10/07