Devonport Dockyard: Spinning House: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
At [[Devonport Dockyard]]. | At [[Devonport Dockyard]]. | ||
The Spinning House built in 1763-72 was damaged by fire, and in 1812 [[Edward Holl]] set about rebuilding it as the EAST ROPERY using 'fireproof' | The Rpery's 1200 ft long Spinning House, built in 1763-72 was damaged by fire, and in 1812 [[Edward Holl]] set about rebuilding it as the EAST ROPERY using only 'fireproof' materials, and adding a third floor. The internal iron framework was completed in 1817. | ||
The | The building has stone walls and cast iron floor beams, supported at mid-span by cast iron columns. The beams, of inverted T-section, have an elliptically-arched upper profile. Square sockets cast in the webs support secondary cast iron joists. These supported stone flag floors. The roof trusses were made from cast and wrought iron. Iron was used for the window frames and shutters. | ||
See Historic England listing [https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1388400?section=official-list-entry '''here'''] | See Historic England listing [https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1388400?section=official-list-entry '''here'''] | ||
Line 13: | Line 13: | ||
==Sources of Information== | ==Sources of Information== | ||
<references/> | <references/> | ||
* | * 'Building the Steam Navy' by David Evans, Conway Maritime Press and English Heritage, 2004, pp.42-3 | ||
* 'Support for the Fleet: Architecture and engineering of the Royal Navy's Bases 1700-1914', by Jonathan Coad, English Heritage, 2013 | |||
[[Category: Town - Plymouth]] | [[Category: Town - Plymouth]] |
Revision as of 18:26, 30 March 2022
The Rpery's 1200 ft long Spinning House, built in 1763-72 was damaged by fire, and in 1812 Edward Holl set about rebuilding it as the EAST ROPERY using only 'fireproof' materials, and adding a third floor. The internal iron framework was completed in 1817.
The building has stone walls and cast iron floor beams, supported at mid-span by cast iron columns. The beams, of inverted T-section, have an elliptically-arched upper profile. Square sockets cast in the webs support secondary cast iron joists. These supported stone flag floors. The roof trusses were made from cast and wrought iron. Iron was used for the window frames and shutters.
See Historic England listing here
See Also
Sources of Information
- 'Building the Steam Navy' by David Evans, Conway Maritime Press and English Heritage, 2004, pp.42-3
- 'Support for the Fleet: Architecture and engineering of the Royal Navy's Bases 1700-1914', by Jonathan Coad, English Heritage, 2013