Wilmington Swing Bridge: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
in Kingston-upon-Hull | in Kingston-upon-Hull | ||
The first swing bridge was erected by Thomas Cabry in 1853, to carry the Victoria, or East Dock, Railway over the River Hull.<ref>[http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/bridges/wilmington.html] Forgotten Relics website: Wilmington's second swing bridg</ref> | The first swing bridge was erected by [[Thomas Cabry]] in 1853, to carry the Victoria, or East Dock, Railway over the River Hull.<ref>[http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/bridges/wilmington.html] Forgotten Relics website: Wilmington's second swing bridg</ref> | ||
The above source, and [http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/sculcoates/ this link], show photographs of the first and second bridges. The first bridge had relatively shallow plate girders, but with bracing using king posts. | The above source, and [http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/sculcoates/ this link], show photographs of the first and second bridges. The first bridge had relatively shallow plate girders, but with bracing using king posts. |
Revision as of 20:23, 12 November 2022
in Kingston-upon-Hull
The first swing bridge was erected by Thomas Cabry in 1853, to carry the Victoria, or East Dock, Railway over the River Hull.[1]
The above source, and this link, show photographs of the first and second bridges. The first bridge had relatively shallow plate girders, but with bracing using king posts.
1907 Second bridge opened.
1968 Closed to rail traffic
The bridge was designed by Mr J Triffitt, under the superintendence of Mr W J Cudworth of the North Eastern Railway. Mr W McD’Malt(?) was the resident engineer on the work, and Mr H Bruff assisted in the preparation of drawings and in the superintendence of the work. The chief contractors for the work were Harman and Langton, of Hull, and the subcontractors for the steelwork were John Butler and Co of Stanningley, Leeds, who entrusted the erection to Mr R Woods, of Westminster.
The machinery for turning the bridge and withdrawing the wedges was designed by Mr Wilson Worsdell, whose contractors were Cowans, Sheldon and Co. The signalling and overhead masts were supplied by McKenzie and Holland, Worcester.
The above information, together with excellent photos and drawings, is taken from the 'Forgotten Relics' website[2], being transcribed from 'Engineering', 31st January 1908.
Two of many Geograph entries here and here.