Accrington Corporation Transport: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
1905 Accrington Corporation obtained authority to purchase the [[Accrington Steam | 1905 Accrington Corporation obtained authority to purchase the [[Accrington Corporation Steam Tramways|Accrington Corporation Steam Tramways Co]] Ltd, which it did on 20th September 1907 | ||
Even before this the Corporation had made a start on electrifying and reconstructing the tramway. | Even before this the Corporation had made a start on electrifying and reconstructing the tramway. |
Latest revision as of 14:18, 25 April 2018
1905 Accrington Corporation obtained authority to purchase the Accrington Corporation Steam Tramways Co Ltd, which it did on 20th September 1907
Even before this the Corporation had made a start on electrifying and reconstructing the tramway.
1907 The first electrified route, a double track line following the route of the former steam tram to Church and then continuing as a single track for a further 1¼ miles to Oswaldtwistle, was opened. Further electrified lines were opened soon after.
The rolling stock came from Brush Electrical Engineering Co of Loughborough throughout the Corporation's use of tramcars. The former steam tram depot on Ellison Street was rebuilt to accommodate the new electric cars.
An extension of the Baxenden line to the Commercial Hotel in the centre of Haslingden was completed on 28th September 1908 and further extended to Lockgate (on the Haslingden/Rawtenstall boundary) on the 20th October 1908, where it met with the tracks of Corporation.
1910 After certain disagreements had been settled with neighbouring Rawtenstall, through-running started onto the Rawtenstall Corporation's tram system.
1926 The final additions were made to the fleet. Buses were introduced into various services.
1932 The final tram ran in Accrington.
See Also
Sources of Information
- Local Transport History [1]