Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,717 pages of information and 247,131 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Neidpath Viaduct: Difference between revisions

From Graces Guide
No edit summary
JohnD (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
Line 1: Line 1:
near Peebles
near Peebles


1864 Opened
This is a very fine masonry viaduct crossing the River Tweed in an attractive location just west of Peedles.


1954 Closed
Built in 1863 for the Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway ([[Caledonian Railway]] from 1866) and opened in February 1864. Designed by Bruce and Cunningham, Edinburgh Consulting Engineers. William Scott of Kilmarnock was the contractor. The Resident Engineer, Robert Murray, undertook the detailed design of the complex masonry.
 
It has eight skewed arches, and is built on a curve. The parapets are topped by slender cast iron railings.
 
1954 Closed. The trackbed is used as part of a heritage trail.
 
There are two other old bridges in close proximity: Old Manor Brig or Roman Bridge, and Manor Bridge.




Line 15: Line 21:
[[Category: Town - Peebles]]
[[Category: Town - Peebles]]
[[Category: Bridges and Viaducts]]
[[Category: Bridges and Viaducts]]
[[Category: Masonry Viaducts]]
[[Category: Skew Bridges]]
[[Category: Things to do - Scotland]]
[[Category: Things to do - Scotland]]
[[Category: Things to do - Scotland (Postcode EH)]]
[[Category: Things to do - Scotland (Postcode EH)]]

Revision as of 18:55, 12 May 2018

near Peebles

This is a very fine masonry viaduct crossing the River Tweed in an attractive location just west of Peedles.

Built in 1863 for the Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway (Caledonian Railway from 1866) and opened in February 1864. Designed by Bruce and Cunningham, Edinburgh Consulting Engineers. William Scott of Kilmarnock was the contractor. The Resident Engineer, Robert Murray, undertook the detailed design of the complex masonry.

It has eight skewed arches, and is built on a curve. The parapets are topped by slender cast iron railings.

1954 Closed. The trackbed is used as part of a heritage trail.

There are two other old bridges in close proximity: Old Manor Brig or Roman Bridge, and Manor Bridge.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information