Hengoed Viaduct: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
at | Crosses the Rhymney Valley at Maesycwmmer, Hengoed, north of Caerphilly. | ||
Originally referred to as the "Rhymney Viaduct" it was also known as the "Maesycwmmer Viaduct". | Originally referred to as the "Rhymney Viaduct" it was also known as the "Maesycwmmer Viaduct". | ||
Line 5: | Line 5: | ||
This Viaduct was on the "Taff Vale Extension" before the line was opened in 1858. | This Viaduct was on the "Taff Vale Extension" before the line was opened in 1858. | ||
Consisting of 16 arches, it is 284 yards long, 120 feet high and on a slight curve | Consisting of 16 arches of 40 ft span, it is 284 yards long, 120 feet high and on a slight curve | ||
1858 | Construction was undertaken by the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford Railway under its chief engineer [[Charles Liddell]]. Thomas W Kennard won the design contract. Rennie and Logan were the contractors. Work started in 1853, and opened for commercial traffic on 11th January 1858. | ||
The tapered piers are 5 feet 6 inches wide at springing level, and 10 feet wide at the base. At its highest point the deck is 120 feet above the river. | |||
1964 Closed | 1964 Closed | ||
Grade II* listed. Now owned by Railway Paths Ltd, it is in the National Cycle Network and is part of the Celtic Trail. | |||
Line 17: | Line 21: | ||
== Sources of Information == | == Sources of Information == | ||
<references/> | <references/> | ||
* [http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/bridges/gallery/hengoed.html] Forgotten Relics website, Hengoed Viaduct. | |||
{{DEFAULTSORT: }} | {{DEFAULTSORT: }} | ||
[[Category: Town - | [[Category: Town - Caerphilly]] | ||
[[Category: Bridges and Viaducts]] | [[Category: Bridges and Viaducts]] | ||
[[Category: Masonry Viaducts]] | |||
[[Category: Things to do - Wales]] | [[Category: Things to do - Wales]] | ||
[[Category: Things to do - Wales (Postcode NP)]] | [[Category: Things to do - Wales (Postcode NP)]] |
Revision as of 22:17, 15 May 2018
Crosses the Rhymney Valley at Maesycwmmer, Hengoed, north of Caerphilly.
Originally referred to as the "Rhymney Viaduct" it was also known as the "Maesycwmmer Viaduct".
This Viaduct was on the "Taff Vale Extension" before the line was opened in 1858.
Consisting of 16 arches of 40 ft span, it is 284 yards long, 120 feet high and on a slight curve
Construction was undertaken by the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford Railway under its chief engineer Charles Liddell. Thomas W Kennard won the design contract. Rennie and Logan were the contractors. Work started in 1853, and opened for commercial traffic on 11th January 1858.
The tapered piers are 5 feet 6 inches wide at springing level, and 10 feet wide at the base. At its highest point the deck is 120 feet above the river.
1964 Closed
Grade II* listed. Now owned by Railway Paths Ltd, it is in the National Cycle Network and is part of the Celtic Trail.
See Also
Sources of Information
- [1] Forgotten Relics website, Hengoed Viaduct.