Wm. Crichton and Co (Finland): Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 3: | Line 3: | ||
This was an engineering and shipbuilding company that operated in Turku, Grand Duchy of Finland in 1842–1913. The company also had another shipyard in Okhta, Saint Petersburg. | This was an engineering and shipbuilding company that operated in Turku, Grand Duchy of Finland in 1842–1913. The company also had another shipyard in Okhta, Saint Petersburg. | ||
The company was founded as [[Cowie and Eriksson]], initially producing steam engines, boilers and other engineering products. The company was started in 1842, when Swedish chief engineer [[Anders Thalus Eriksson]] and Scottish [[David Cowie]] got a permit to start a foundry and engineering works in Turku. The men had worked before in Stockholm for [[Samuel Owen]] who had built the first steam engines of Sweden. | The company was founded as [[Cowie and Eriksson]], initially producing steam engines, boilers and other engineering products. The company was started in 1842, when Swedish chief engineer [[Anders Thalus Eriksson]] and Scottish engineer [[David Cowie]] got a permit to start a foundry and engineering works in Turku. The men had worked before in Stockholm for [[Samuel Owen]] who had built the first steam engines of Sweden. | ||
[[William Crichton]] became the owner in 1862 and the company was named W:m Crichton & C:o. The first shipbuilding slipway was constructed in 1864. The company became the biggest employer of Turku after acquiring the nearby yard Åbo Skeppswarf in 1883. | [[William Crichton]] became the owner in 1862 and the company was named W:m Crichton & C:o. The first shipbuilding slipway was constructed in 1864. The company became the biggest employer of Turku after acquiring the nearby yard Åbo Skeppswarf in 1883. |
Revision as of 11:33, 14 June 2018
Also written W:m Crichton & C:o Ab.
This was an engineering and shipbuilding company that operated in Turku, Grand Duchy of Finland in 1842–1913. The company also had another shipyard in Okhta, Saint Petersburg.
The company was founded as Cowie and Eriksson, initially producing steam engines, boilers and other engineering products. The company was started in 1842, when Swedish chief engineer Anders Thalus Eriksson and Scottish engineer David Cowie got a permit to start a foundry and engineering works in Turku. The men had worked before in Stockholm for Samuel Owen who had built the first steam engines of Sweden.
William Crichton became the owner in 1862 and the company was named W:m Crichton & C:o. The first shipbuilding slipway was constructed in 1864. The company became the biggest employer of Turku after acquiring the nearby yard Åbo Skeppswarf in 1883.
Crichton died in 1889, after which the operations were continued by investors. In 1896 the company started a new yard in Okhta, Saint Petersburg, to build ships for the local market. The operations were poorly organised and by time the yard created so much losses that the company went bankrupt in 1913.
A new company, Ab Crichton, was established in 1914 to continue shipbuilding in Turku.
For the source of the above, and for much more information, see Wikipedia entry.