Walker Brothers (Wigan): Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 34: | Line 34: | ||
* The Steam Engine in Industry by George Watkins in two volumes. Moorland Publishing. 1978. ISBN 0-903485-65-6 | * The Steam Engine in Industry by George Watkins in two volumes. Moorland Publishing. 1978. ISBN 0-903485-65-6 | ||
<references/> | <references/> | ||
[[Category:Steam Locomotives]] |
Revision as of 15:22, 30 January 2009

Walker Brothers of Pagefield Ironworks, Wigan were mining engineers.
- 1866 Company founded.
- 1902 Fan engine for Dean and Chapter Colliery at Ferryhill.
- 1904 Private company.
- 1908 Fan engine for Crumlin Navigation Colliery.
- 1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices of Petrol Motors see the 1917 Red Book under the Pagefield name.
- 1919 - 1920 A few Pagefields buses were made on a lorry chassis.
- 1921 One of these was bodied as a bus in Britain.
- 1923 Ventilating fan engine for The Severn Tunnel.
- 1927 A low frame PSV chassis was produced. It was very ahead of its time having a six-cylinder Dorman engine, four wheel internally-expanding drum brakes.
- The whole engine assembly could be detached and wheeled out; this was an idea later brought about by Morris-Commercial.
- Users of Pagefields were Grant's Saloon Services and Wigan Corporation who were local to the company.
- The company were known for making the most successful battery-electric trucks.
- Bus bought by Liverpool Corporation with a 25 passenger body.
- 1961 Engineers and makers of mining and paper making machinery. [1]
Sources of Information
- Ian Allan - British Buses Since 1900 - Aldridge and Morris
- The Steam Engine in Industry by George Watkins in two volumes. Moorland Publishing. 1978. ISBN 0-903485-65-6