Cambridge Street Mill: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 2: | Line 2: | ||
The 1849 O.S. map shows mill buildings, identified as Cambridge Street Mills (Cotton), located on both sides of Cambridge Street at its junction with Chester Street. The larger buildings were on the east side of the street, with Chorlton Mills immediately to the north and Chester Street Sugar Mills immediately to the east. | The 1849 O.S. map shows mill buildings, identified as Cambridge Street Mills (Cotton), located on both sides of Cambridge Street at its junction with Chester Street. The larger buildings were on the east side of the street, with Chorlton Mills immediately to the north and Chester Street Sugar Mills immediately to the east. | ||
The mill on the east side of Cambridge Street, and the premises which became Chester Street Sugar Mills, had their origins with [[Samuel Marsland]] and [[Robert Owen]] in 1795. | |||
1896 photo [https://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=38325&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=55913 here] is almost certainly a view looking north east from Chester Street, with the western block of the mills nearest the camera. Another view [https://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=1473&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=67406 here], looking north west. | 1896 photo [https://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=38325&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=55913 here] is almost certainly a view looking north east from Chester Street, with the western block of the mills nearest the camera. Another view [https://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=1473&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=67406 here], looking north west. |
Latest revision as of 13:09, 27 August 2019
See also Cambridge Street Mills
The 1849 O.S. map shows mill buildings, identified as Cambridge Street Mills (Cotton), located on both sides of Cambridge Street at its junction with Chester Street. The larger buildings were on the east side of the street, with Chorlton Mills immediately to the north and Chester Street Sugar Mills immediately to the east.
The mill on the east side of Cambridge Street, and the premises which became Chester Street Sugar Mills, had their origins with Samuel Marsland and Robert Owen in 1795.
1896 photo here is almost certainly a view looking north east from Chester Street, with the western block of the mills nearest the camera. Another view here, looking north west.