Banwen Ironworks: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 11: | Line 11: | ||
1852 Works was sold to James Henty. | 1852 Works was sold to James Henty. | ||
1861 Sold to Llewellyn and Son. Iron production ceased | 1861 Sold to Llewellyn and Son (Llewellyn and Co?). Iron production ceased in 1862. | ||
Only one of the proposed six furnaces was completed,while a second was not finished. | Only one of the proposed six furnaces was completed,while a second was not finished. |
Latest revision as of 09:21, 7 February 2020
of Coelbren and Glynedd/Glyn-neath (nearest villages). Area: Neath Port Talbot.
Built speculatively in 1845-48 by the Banwen Iron and Coal Co during the 'railway mania', promoted by Rowland Jay Browne. Browne was a London barrister with a home in Ynysarwed. May only have produced some 80 tons of pig iron.
The Ironworks were connected by an edge-railway to the Brecon Forest Tramroad.
The remains Banwen Iron Works are now a scheduled monument on Ton-Pryddin Farm, and include two blast furnaces, an engine house,and the charging bank which gave access to fill the furnaces.
The company failed to produce even the small amount of iron required to meet the conditions of the lease, and went into receivership. Financial irregularities from the start plus a conflict of interests for Browne left the shareholders out of pocket and ownership of the lease reverting to Browne himself.
1852 Works was sold to James Henty.
1861 Sold to Llewellyn and Son (Llewellyn and Co?). Iron production ceased in 1862.
Only one of the proposed six furnaces was completed,while a second was not finished.
See also Coflein entry for map and illustrations.
See Also
Sources of Information
- The Brecon Forest Tramroads by Stephen Hughes, published in 1990 by the Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments in Wales
- [1] Geograph entry for Banwen Ironworks, text by Nigel Davies