Londonderry Collieries: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
of Seaham Harbour | of Seaham Harbour | ||
1819 The Londonderry family became coal owners through the marriage in 1819 of the third Marquess of Londonderry with Lady Frances Anne Vane-Tempest, a descendant of the Vanes of Longnewton and the Tempests of Wynyard. The Tempest family owned a number of collieries around the city of Durham. | |||
Under the third Marquess and his wife, these collieries were developed. | |||
1821 The Seaham estate was purchased; Lord Londonderry laid down a railway from Rainton to Seaham, with branches to all the collieries in which he was interested, and constructed a dock at Seaham. | |||
1899 The company was registered on 31 May, to acquire various collieries in the County of Durham. <ref>The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908</ref> | 1899 The company was registered on 31 May, to acquire various collieries in the County of Durham. <ref>The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908</ref> | ||
All the shares were held by The Marquess of Londonderry and his family. It owned [[Seaham Colliery]] and [[Dawdon Colliery]] | |||
c.1926 A new pit was being sunk. | |||
== See Also == | == See Also == |
Revision as of 11:19, 11 September 2020
of Seaham Harbour
1819 The Londonderry family became coal owners through the marriage in 1819 of the third Marquess of Londonderry with Lady Frances Anne Vane-Tempest, a descendant of the Vanes of Longnewton and the Tempests of Wynyard. The Tempest family owned a number of collieries around the city of Durham.
Under the third Marquess and his wife, these collieries were developed.
1821 The Seaham estate was purchased; Lord Londonderry laid down a railway from Rainton to Seaham, with branches to all the collieries in which he was interested, and constructed a dock at Seaham.
1899 The company was registered on 31 May, to acquire various collieries in the County of Durham. [1]
All the shares were held by The Marquess of Londonderry and his family. It owned Seaham Colliery and Dawdon Colliery
c.1926 A new pit was being sunk.
See Also
Sources of Information
- ↑ The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908