Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension, Nord: Difference between revisions
Created page with "Bailleul was occupied on 14 October 1914 by the 19th Brigade and the 4th Division. It became an important railhead, air depot and hospital centre, with the 2nd, 3rd, 8th, 11th..." |
No edit summary |
||
Line 11: | Line 11: | ||
{{DEFAULTSORT: }} | {{DEFAULTSORT: }} | ||
[[Category: Country- France]] | [[Category: Country - France]] | ||
[[Category: Cemeteries]] | [[Category: Cemeteries]] |
Latest revision as of 16:12, 20 August 2021
Bailleul was occupied on 14 October 1914 by the 19th Brigade and the 4th Division. It became an important railhead, air depot and hospital centre, with the 2nd, 3rd, 8th, 11th, 53rd, 1st Canadian and 1st Australian Casualty Clearing Stations quartered in it for considerable periods. It was a Corps headquarters until July 1917, when it was severely bombed and shelled, and after the Battle of Bailleul (13-15 April 1918), it fell into German hands and was not retaken until 30 August 1918.
The earliest Commonwealth burials at Bailleul were made at the east end of the communal cemetery and in April 1915, when the space available had been filled, the extension was opened on the east side of the cemetery. The extension was used until April 1918, and again in September, and after the Armistice graves were brought in from the neighbouring battlefields.