West Meon Viaduct: Difference between revisions
Created page with "DEMOLISHED IN 1957. The Meon Valley Railway (MVR) ran between Alton and Fareham in Hampshire. Construction started in 1898. It was intended to construct an eight-arch concr..." |
No edit summary |
||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
DEMOLISHED IN 1957. | DEMOLISHED IN 1957. | ||
The Meon Valley Railway | The [[Meon Valley Railway]] ran between Alton and Fareham in Hampshire. Construction started in 1898. | ||
It was intended to construct an eight-arch concrete viaduct to cross the Meon Valley, but ground conditions proved unsuitable, resulting in subsidence of the foundations. A four-arch iron structure was built instead, approached by chalk embankments.<ref>[https://www.secret-bases.co.uk/wiki/Meon_Valley_Railway] Meon Valley Railway</ref>. | It was intended to construct an eight-arch concrete viaduct to cross the Meon Valley, but ground conditions proved unsuitable, resulting in subsidence of the foundations. A four-arch iron structure was built instead, approached by chalk embankments.<ref>[https://www.secret-bases.co.uk/wiki/Meon_Valley_Railway] Meon Valley Railway</ref>. | ||
The structure was most unusual. Tubular steel or iron piers on concrete plinths supported plate girders which were | The structure was most unusual. Tubular steel or iron piers on concrete plinths supported plate girders which were additionay supported by arched members. | ||
Early photograph [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MVRviaduct.jpg here]. | Early photograph [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MVRviaduct.jpg here]. |
Latest revision as of 13:21, 30 December 2021
DEMOLISHED IN 1957.
The Meon Valley Railway ran between Alton and Fareham in Hampshire. Construction started in 1898.
It was intended to construct an eight-arch concrete viaduct to cross the Meon Valley, but ground conditions proved unsuitable, resulting in subsidence of the foundations. A four-arch iron structure was built instead, approached by chalk embankments.[1].
The structure was most unusual. Tubular steel or iron piers on concrete plinths supported plate girders which were additionay supported by arched members.
Early photograph here.
1957 photograph taken during demolition here.