Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,717 pages of information and 247,131 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Morpeth Dock: Difference between revisions

From Graces Guide
Created page with "Morpeth Dock is a dock at Birkenhead, Wirral Peninsula. Built between 1844 and 1847, it also included a smaller branch dock to the east. It is named after Lord Morpeth, the 7th..."
 
JohnD (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
Line 3: Line 3:
Built between 1844 and 1847, it also included a smaller branch dock to the east. It is named after Lord Morpeth, the 7th Earl of Carlisle, who was the First Commissioner of Woods and Forests.
Built between 1844 and 1847, it also included a smaller branch dock to the east. It is named after Lord Morpeth, the 7th Earl of Carlisle, who was the First Commissioner of Woods and Forests.


Originally, the dock connected directly to the River Mersey via locks, although the entrance channel has since been partially in-filled and the locks removed after being disused for some years. Access to the Great Float via Egerton Dock has also been removed, making both docks effectively landlocked.
Originally, the dock connected directly to the River Mersey via locks, although the entrance channel has since been partially in-filled and the locks removed after being disused for some years. Access to the Great Float via [[Egerton Dock]] has also been removed, making both docks effectively landlocked.


Morpeth Dock was used by GWR as the Birkenhead end of cross-river traffic to the Manchester Dock.
Morpeth Dock was used by GWR as the Birkenhead end of cross-river traffic to the Manchester Dock.

Revision as of 17:30, 28 February 2022

Morpeth Dock is a dock at Birkenhead, Wirral Peninsula.

Built between 1844 and 1847, it also included a smaller branch dock to the east. It is named after Lord Morpeth, the 7th Earl of Carlisle, who was the First Commissioner of Woods and Forests.

Originally, the dock connected directly to the River Mersey via locks, although the entrance channel has since been partially in-filled and the locks removed after being disused for some years. Access to the Great Float via Egerton Dock has also been removed, making both docks effectively landlocked.

Morpeth Dock was used by GWR as the Birkenhead end of cross-river traffic to the Manchester Dock.

Part of the dock and its former branch were filled in to provide a site for a water treatment plant


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information