Wilmington Swing Bridge: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 24: | Line 24: | ||
[[Category: Bridges and Viaducts]] | [[Category: Bridges and Viaducts]] | ||
[[Category: Movable Bridges]] | [[Category: Movable Bridges]] | ||
[[Category: Bridges of Hull]] | |||
[[Category: Things to do - Yorkshire]] | [[Category: Things to do - Yorkshire]] |
Revision as of 19:55, 12 November 2022
Hull
1907 Opened
1968 Closed to rail traffic
The bridge was designed by Mr J Triffitt, under the superintendence of Mr W J Cudworth of the North Eastern Railway. Mr W McD’Malt(?) was the resident engineer on the work, and Mr H Bruff assisted in the preparation of drawings and in the superintendence of the work. The chief contractors for the work were Harman and Langton, of Hull, and the subcontractors for the steelwork were John Butler and Co of Stanningley, Leeds, who entrusted the erection to Mr R Woods, of Westminster.
The machinery for turning the bridge and withdrawing the wedges was designed by Mr Wilson Worsdell, whose contractors were Cowans, Sheldon and Co. The signalling and overhead masts were supplied by McKenzie and Holland, Worcester.
The above information, together with excellent photos and drawings, is taken from the 'Forgotten Relics' website[1], being transcribed from 'Engineering', 31st January 1908.
One of several Geograph entries here.