Institution of Welding Engineers: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
|||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
The address of the institution was 30, Red Lion-square, Holborn, London, WC1. | |||
1923 October: Opening meeting. | |||
Objective - The central idea of the institution was to unite in one corporation all those who are engaged in welding of any kind - gas, electric, Thermit etc. - as well as those engaged or interested in allied industries. | Objective - The central idea of the institution was to unite in one corporation all those who are engaged in welding of any kind - gas, electric, Thermit etc. - as well as those engaged or interested in allied industries. | ||
Line 26: | Line 28: | ||
*[[Lewis J. Yeoman]]. | *[[Lewis J. Yeoman]]. | ||
*[[G. Young]]. | *[[G. Young]]. | ||
Over the following ten years, the number of Members reached 600. | |||
1935 the '''The Institution of Welding Engineers''' merged with the British Advisory Welding Council, becoming [[Institute of Welding|The Institute of Welding]]. This merger enabled a "wider and more comprehensive programme of work" to be conducted whilst additionally addressing the "pressing demands of all branches of engineering for guidance in welding matters." It also further enabled companies to become Members, as well as individuals. | |||
==See Also== | ==See Also== | ||
Line 34: | Line 40: | ||
{{DEFAULTSORT:}} | {{DEFAULTSORT:}} | ||
[[Category: Town - London]] | |||
[[Category: Societies and Associations ]] | [[Category: Societies and Associations ]] | ||
[[Category: Welding and Fabrication]] | [[Category: Welding and Fabrication]] |
Revision as of 08:41, 2 July 2023
The address of the institution was 30, Red Lion-square, Holborn, London, WC1.
1923 October: Opening meeting.
Objective - The central idea of the institution was to unite in one corporation all those who are engaged in welding of any kind - gas, electric, Thermit etc. - as well as those engaged or interested in allied industries.
Its members were to be of five grades: - Special Members, Ordinary Members, Associates, Graduates and Foreign Members.
Office holders appointed in 1923 were;-
- Sir W. Peter Rylands. (President).
- Sir Robert Hadfield. (Vice-President).
- Professor F. C. Thompson. (Vice-President).
- Mr. Charles Bingham. (Vice-President).
- W. R. J. Britten. (Hon. Treasurer).
- C. Raggett. (Hon. Secretary).
The following were the members of the first council: -
- E. A. Atkins.
- W. R. J. Britten.
- Charles Bingham.
- Herman G. Dixon.
- L. M. Fox.
- A. L. Haggerty.
- A. Edgar Knowles.
- T. Vincent Lane.
- C. Raggett.
- Captain D. Richardson.
- Lewis J. Yeoman.
- G. Young.
Over the following ten years, the number of Members reached 600.
1935 the The Institution of Welding Engineers merged with the British Advisory Welding Council, becoming The Institute of Welding. This merger enabled a "wider and more comprehensive programme of work" to be conducted whilst additionally addressing the "pressing demands of all branches of engineering for guidance in welding matters." It also further enabled companies to become Members, as well as individuals.