Hawkshead Foundry: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 2: | Line 2: | ||
1869 [[John Milburn]] commenced business for himself in Workington as an ironfounder and engineer, erecting the premises known as the Hawkshead Foundry and Engine Works. | 1869 [[John Milburn]] commenced business for himself in Workington as an ironfounder and engineer, erecting the premises known as the Hawkshead Foundry and Engine Works. | ||
1882 'At the Hawkshead Foundry, Workington, belonging to Mr. J. Milburn, work has been briskly carried on ; full time is being worked, and the works are also full-handed. They are now engaged in constructing two small engines, about 12-horse power, for Messrs. Bolckow and Vaughan, of Middlesborough.' <ref>Maryport Advertiser - Friday 17 November 1882</ref> | |||
1897 Milburn added the Havelock Road Engineering Works. Chiefly concerned in the manufacture of machinery for water works and for many of the ironworks and collieries in West Cumberland. | 1897 Milburn added the Havelock Road Engineering Works. Chiefly concerned in the manufacture of machinery for water works and for many of the ironworks and collieries in West Cumberland. |
Latest revision as of 15:21, 25 January 2024
of Quay Side, Workington.
1869 John Milburn commenced business for himself in Workington as an ironfounder and engineer, erecting the premises known as the Hawkshead Foundry and Engine Works.
1882 'At the Hawkshead Foundry, Workington, belonging to Mr. J. Milburn, work has been briskly carried on ; full time is being worked, and the works are also full-handed. They are now engaged in constructing two small engines, about 12-horse power, for Messrs. Bolckow and Vaughan, of Middlesborough.' [1]
1897 Milburn added the Havelock Road Engineering Works. Chiefly concerned in the manufacture of machinery for water works and for many of the ironworks and collieries in West Cumberland.
1923 'FIFTY YEARS WITH ONE FIRM.— To celebrate the jubilee of Mr. J. H. Cawley, who ban been 50 years at the Hawkshead Foundry and Engineering Works, Workington. A handsome solid silver tea and coffee service of the Victorian period has been presented to him by Mr. John Milburn, the proprietor of the works. The foreman and office staff also presented him with a silver rose bowl and silver cigarette case. Mr. Cawley commenced work under the late Mr. John Milburn on October 17th, 1873.'[2]