Exeter Electric Light Co: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 3: | Line 3: | ||
1891 'THE EXETER ELECTRIC LIGHT CO. (LIMITED), beg to announce that they have taken the EXTENSIVE SHOWROOMS Over the West Boot end Shoe Supply Company's New Premises, at No. 82, FORE-STREET, EXETER, and have Purchased the Business and Stock of the Exeter Branch of the Italian Art Fittings Company which is now removed to the New Show Rooms above. This Stock, consists of ARTISTIC FITTINGS for ELECTRICITY, GAS, OIL & CANDLES in hand made hammered Iron, Brass, Copper, and Silver-plated Metals...'<ref>Western Times - Saturday 19 December 1891</ref> | 1891 'THE EXETER ELECTRIC LIGHT CO. (LIMITED), beg to announce that they have taken the EXTENSIVE SHOWROOMS Over the West Boot end Shoe Supply Company's New Premises, at No. 82, FORE-STREET, EXETER, and have Purchased the Business and Stock of the Exeter Branch of the Italian Art Fittings Company which is now removed to the New Show Rooms above. This Stock, consists of ARTISTIC FITTINGS for ELECTRICITY, GAS, OIL & CANDLES in hand made hammered Iron, Brass, Copper, and Silver-plated Metals...'<ref>Western Times - Saturday 19 December 1891</ref> | ||
By 1896 money was needed to increase capacity, and the City Council stepped in to purchase the station, to be operated under the name of the | By 1896 money was needed to increase capacity, and the City Council stepped in to purchase the station, to be operated under the name of the [[City of Exeter Electric Co|City of Exeter Electric Company]]. By 1899 the output had grown to 575kwh, and the council were contemplating an electric tram system for the city.<ref>[http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/em/electricitystation.php] Exeter Memories: Electricity Generation in Exeter</ref> | ||
== See Also == | == See Also == |
Revision as of 07:44, 16 April 2024
Thanks to the initiative of Henry Massingham, the Exeter Electric Light Co was established, and they built a generating station, Rockfield Works on New North Road, which began generating in 1889.
1891 'THE EXETER ELECTRIC LIGHT CO. (LIMITED), beg to announce that they have taken the EXTENSIVE SHOWROOMS Over the West Boot end Shoe Supply Company's New Premises, at No. 82, FORE-STREET, EXETER, and have Purchased the Business and Stock of the Exeter Branch of the Italian Art Fittings Company which is now removed to the New Show Rooms above. This Stock, consists of ARTISTIC FITTINGS for ELECTRICITY, GAS, OIL & CANDLES in hand made hammered Iron, Brass, Copper, and Silver-plated Metals...'[1]
By 1896 money was needed to increase capacity, and the City Council stepped in to purchase the station, to be operated under the name of the City of Exeter Electric Company. By 1899 the output had grown to 575kwh, and the council were contemplating an electric tram system for the city.[2]