Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,677 pages of information and 247,074 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Nuneham Railway Bridge: Difference between revisions

From Graces Guide
JohnD (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
JohnD (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
 
Line 3: Line 3:
Nuneham Railway Bridge, near Abingdon, Oxfordshire, carries the Cherwell Valley Line between Didcot and Oxford across the River Thames between Abingdon Lock and Sandford Lock.  
Nuneham Railway Bridge, near Abingdon, Oxfordshire, carries the Cherwell Valley Line between Didcot and Oxford across the River Thames between Abingdon Lock and Sandford Lock.  


The current bowstring girder bridge was built in 1929 and has also been called the Black Bridge. It replaced an earlier wooden bridge built in 1844.
The current bowstring girder bridge was built in 1929 and has also been called the Black Bridge. It replaced an earlier iron bridge, built c.1856, which in turn replaced a wooden bridge built in 1844.
 
The c.1856 iron plate bridge had seven spans, the centre
being 46 ft. long, two on each side 40 ft., and two
shore spans 37 ft. <ref>[[Engineering 1896/04/10]]</ref>





Latest revision as of 15:17, 7 January 2025

Nuneham Railway Bridge.

Nuneham Railway Bridge, near Abingdon, Oxfordshire, carries the Cherwell Valley Line between Didcot and Oxford across the River Thames between Abingdon Lock and Sandford Lock.

The current bowstring girder bridge was built in 1929 and has also been called the Black Bridge. It replaced an earlier iron bridge, built c.1856, which in turn replaced a wooden bridge built in 1844.

The c.1856 iron plate bridge had seven spans, the centre being 46 ft. long, two on each side 40 ft., and two shore spans 37 ft. [1]


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information