Wakefield Electricity Works: Difference between revisions
Created page with "Built for the Corporation of Wakefield; consulting engineer Robert Hammond. John Fowler and Co, Leeds, supplied the boilers, engines, alternators, and switch gear; [[B..." |
No edit summary |
||
Line 2: | Line 2: | ||
[[John Fowler and Co]], Leeds, supplied the boilers, engines, alternators, and switch | [[John Fowler and Co]], Leeds, supplied the boilers, engines, alternators, and switch | ||
gear | gear with boilers built by [[Spurr, Inman and Co]], of Wakefield. For supplying the small day-time load, | ||
a small high-speed Bellis-Fowler plant was provided. | |||
[[British Insulated Wire Co]], of Prescot, supplied the underground mains | [[British Insulated Wire Co]], of Prescot, supplied the underground mains | ||
[[Brush Electrical Engineering Co]] supplied the arc lamps | [[Brush Electrical Engineering Co]] supplied the arc lamps | ||
The main switch board was designed on the [[Lowrie-Hall]] system of plug switches | |||
The generating works was connected to the Westgate area in the town where three transformers reduced the voltage from 2000 to 200 volts for distribution to the surrounding streets. | |||
1898 Formally opened<ref>[[The Engineer 1898/07/01]]</ref> | 1898 Formally opened<ref>[[The Engineer 1898/07/01]]</ref> |
Revision as of 17:37, 22 May 2013
Built for the Corporation of Wakefield; consulting engineer Robert Hammond.
John Fowler and Co, Leeds, supplied the boilers, engines, alternators, and switch gear with boilers built by Spurr, Inman and Co, of Wakefield. For supplying the small day-time load, a small high-speed Bellis-Fowler plant was provided.
British Insulated Wire Co, of Prescot, supplied the underground mains
Brush Electrical Engineering Co supplied the arc lamps
The main switch board was designed on the Lowrie-Hall system of plug switches
The generating works was connected to the Westgate area in the town where three transformers reduced the voltage from 2000 to 200 volts for distribution to the surrounding streets.
1898 Formally opened[1]