Charing Cross and Strand Electric Supply Co: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
1900 In order to acquire larger premises, land further out (at Stratford) was acquired. The Gatti's company, Charing Cross and Strand Electricity Supply Company, acquired Parliamentary powers to produce and supply electricity from the generating station which was called Bow. It operated on the AC system; six substations were established including those at Fenchurch St. in the City and St. Martins Lane in the West End. | 1883 The Gatti brothers, who owned the Royal Adelphi theatre and the Adelaide restaurant in The Strand, supplied their premises from a small local generating unit | ||
1893 Incorporated as a public company<ref>The Times, May 17, 1893</ref> | |||
1896 The Gatti's generating unit was moved to larger premises at Lambeth. | |||
1900 In order to acquire larger premises, land further out (at Stratford) was acquired. The Gatti's company, '''Charing Cross and Strand Electricity Supply Company''', acquired Parliamentary powers to produce and supply electricity from the generating station which was called Bow. It operated on the AC system; six substations were established including those at Fenchurch St. in the City and St. Martins Lane in the West End. | |||
1902 Opened a 11,000 volt, three phase power station at Bow<ref>Wood Lane History[http://www.woodlanebicc.co.uk/docs/chapter%20two.pdf]</ref> | 1902 Opened a 11,000 volt, three phase power station at Bow<ref>Wood Lane History[http://www.woodlanebicc.co.uk/docs/chapter%20two.pdf]</ref> |
Revision as of 18:17, 13 November 2013
1883 The Gatti brothers, who owned the Royal Adelphi theatre and the Adelaide restaurant in The Strand, supplied their premises from a small local generating unit
1893 Incorporated as a public company[1]
1896 The Gatti's generating unit was moved to larger premises at Lambeth.
1900 In order to acquire larger premises, land further out (at Stratford) was acquired. The Gatti's company, Charing Cross and Strand Electricity Supply Company, acquired Parliamentary powers to produce and supply electricity from the generating station which was called Bow. It operated on the AC system; six substations were established including those at Fenchurch St. in the City and St. Martins Lane in the West End.
1902 Opened a 11,000 volt, three phase power station at Bow[2]
1903 A separately-operated undertaking was established to serve the City of London[3]
By 1905 the company had become Charing Cross, West End and City Electricity Supply Co, a public company