Star Patent Fuel Works: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 3: | Line 3: | ||
One of a number of makers of 'patent fuel', or 'preserved coal' - a mixture usually comprising small coal - preferable steam coal - mixed with coal tar pitch and compressed into blocks, generally believed to have first been made near St Etienne (France) in 1842. | One of a number of makers of 'patent fuel', or 'preserved coal' - a mixture usually comprising small coal - preferable steam coal - mixed with coal tar pitch and compressed into blocks, generally believed to have first been made near St Etienne (France) in 1842. | ||
The Star works was founded in 1874 by [[Thomas Edward Heath]] and his partner Tom Evens, and located on the site of the former [[Maindy Forge]] of [[Isaac Russell]]. An interesting feature was the use of a former GWR broad gauge locomotive, 'Nelson' of 1853, to power machinery. Blocks were of regular shape and were neatly stacked on the company's wharf ready for shipping by barge on the [[Glamorganshire Canal]] to Bute Dock | The Star works was founded in 1874 by [[Thomas Edward Heath]] and his partner Tom Evens, and located on the site of the former [[Maindy Forge]] of [[Isaac Russell]]. An interesting feature was the use of a former GWR broad gauge locomotive, 'Nelson' of 1853, to power machinery. Heath introduced a number of improvements which faciliated production and material handling. Blocks were of regular shape and were neatly stacked on the company's wharf ready for shipping by barge on the [[Glamorganshire Canal]] to Bute Dock | ||
The above information is taken from 'The Glamorganshire and Aberdare Canals'<ref>'The Glamorganshire and Aberdare Canals' Vol 2, by Stephen Rowson and Ian L Wright, Black Dwarf Publications, 2004</ref>. This source includes photos and maps showing the Star and other works (Cambrian, Anchor, and Crown). | The above information is taken from 'The Glamorganshire and Aberdare Canals'<ref>'The Glamorganshire and Aberdare Canals' Vol 2, by Stephen Rowson and Ian L Wright, Black Dwarf Publications, 2004</ref>. This source includes photos and maps showing the Star and other works (Cambrian, Anchor, and Crown). | ||
Further information is available on the Industrial Railway Record website. We learn that demand fell dramatically after WW1, and the works closed in December 1927. Part of the site was taken over by a furniture factory, while the north end was acquired by the adjoining [[Powell Duffryn]] wagon works. <ref>[http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/24/Star_Patent.htm] Industrial Railway Record website, Star Patent Fuel Works</ref> | |||
Revision as of 13:26, 3 November 2016
of Maindy, Cardiff
One of a number of makers of 'patent fuel', or 'preserved coal' - a mixture usually comprising small coal - preferable steam coal - mixed with coal tar pitch and compressed into blocks, generally believed to have first been made near St Etienne (France) in 1842.
The Star works was founded in 1874 by Thomas Edward Heath and his partner Tom Evens, and located on the site of the former Maindy Forge of Isaac Russell. An interesting feature was the use of a former GWR broad gauge locomotive, 'Nelson' of 1853, to power machinery. Heath introduced a number of improvements which faciliated production and material handling. Blocks were of regular shape and were neatly stacked on the company's wharf ready for shipping by barge on the Glamorganshire Canal to Bute Dock
The above information is taken from 'The Glamorganshire and Aberdare Canals'[1]. This source includes photos and maps showing the Star and other works (Cambrian, Anchor, and Crown).
Further information is available on the Industrial Railway Record website. We learn that demand fell dramatically after WW1, and the works closed in December 1927. Part of the site was taken over by a furniture factory, while the north end was acquired by the adjoining Powell Duffryn wagon works. [2]