Grosvenor Bridge (Tunbridge Wells): Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 5: | Line 5: | ||
The bridge was opened in 1883 to take a road over the South Eastern Railway. The engineer was [[W. Brentall]]. There were three wrought iron box girder spans of 50, 98, and 78 ft., with three brick arches on approach road on each side. The contractors for the ironwork were the [[Tank and Boiler Co]] of Wolverhampton. Total weight of ironwork was 292.5 tons. 1,624 bolts were used, and many rivets (43,792, in fact!). | The bridge was opened in 1883 to take a road over the South Eastern Railway. The engineer was [[W. Brentall]]. There were three wrought iron box girder spans of 50, 98, and 78 ft., with three brick arches on approach road on each side. The contractors for the ironwork were the [[Tank and Boiler Co]] of Wolverhampton. Total weight of ironwork was 292.5 tons. 1,624 bolts were used, and many rivets (43,792, in fact!). | ||
The contactor for the masonry, road, and pavements was [[Henry Potter]] of London. 630,000 red bricks were used, with 93,000 Staffordshire blue bricks for facing. Copings and caps were | The contactor for the masonry, road, and pavements was [[Henry Potter]] of London. 630,000 red bricks were used, with 93,000 Staffordshire blue bricks for facing. Copings and caps were of Bramley Fell stone. | ||
== See Also == | == See Also == |
Latest revision as of 19:33, 29 November 2016
This entry refers to the bridge built in 1881-1883, and replaced in the 1960s.
The following information is from a contemporary newspaper report.[1]
The bridge was opened in 1883 to take a road over the South Eastern Railway. The engineer was W. Brentall. There were three wrought iron box girder spans of 50, 98, and 78 ft., with three brick arches on approach road on each side. The contractors for the ironwork were the Tank and Boiler Co of Wolverhampton. Total weight of ironwork was 292.5 tons. 1,624 bolts were used, and many rivets (43,792, in fact!).
The contactor for the masonry, road, and pavements was Henry Potter of London. 630,000 red bricks were used, with 93,000 Staffordshire blue bricks for facing. Copings and caps were of Bramley Fell stone.
See Also
Sources of Information
- ↑ Supplement to Kent & Sussex Courier, 9 March 1883