John Foster (1758-1827): Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
John Foster ( | John Foster (1758-1827) was an English engineer | ||
1786 Birth of son [[John Foster (1786-1846)]] | 1786 Birth of son [[John Foster (1786-1846)]] |
Revision as of 08:31, 7 December 2016
John Foster (1758-1827) was an English engineer
1786 Birth of son John Foster (1786-1846)
He was Senior Surveyor to the Corporation of Liverpool succeeding Henry Berry.
In the early 1820s he was responsible for the extensive remodelling of Liverpool's Blue Coat School, adding the curved wall and new chapel to the rear.
In 1824 he was succeeded as Senior Surveyor by his son while Jesse Hartley replaced him as dock engineer at Liverpool Dock Trustees.
During his time as dock engineer, Foster completed only one dock (Prince's Dock, Liverpool).
He also converted Manchester Basin to an enclosed dock (Manchester Dock) and expanded several other docks including George’s Dock and Queen's Dock. The warehouse at King's Dock was built by Foster