Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,718 pages of information and 247,131 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Gateshead Works: Difference between revisions

From Graces Guide
JohnD (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
PaulF (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
Line 1: Line 1:
In 1844 the [[North Eastern Railway]] (NER) gained powers to erect a station at Greenesfield, Gateshead and in 1852 built large locomotive sheds and works on the same site, immediately adjacent to the south end of the High Level Bridge.
In 1844 a predecessor company of the [[North Eastern Railway]] (NER) gained powers to erect a station at Greenesfield, Gateshead.
 
1852 built large locomotive sheds and works on the same site, immediately adjacent to the south end of the High Level Bridge.


A well-illustrated article about the works was published in 'The Engineer' in 1896<ref>[http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/5/50/Er18961218.pdf] The Engineer, 18 December 1896, pp.607-617</ref>
A well-illustrated article about the works was published in 'The Engineer' in 1896<ref>[http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/5/50/Er18961218.pdf] The Engineer, 18 December 1896, pp.607-617</ref>

Revision as of 16:10, 21 April 2017

In 1844 a predecessor company of the North Eastern Railway (NER) gained powers to erect a station at Greenesfield, Gateshead.

1852 built large locomotive sheds and works on the same site, immediately adjacent to the south end of the High Level Bridge.

A well-illustrated article about the works was published in 'The Engineer' in 1896[1]

The Gateshead Railway Works closed in 1933. However, a number of the works buildings have survived, some tastefully restored for commercial and residential use, while several others are presently (2017) derelict.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. [1] The Engineer, 18 December 1896, pp.607-617