Shaw and Sons (of Limerick): Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 11: | Line 11: | ||
*[http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/Media,3962,en.pdf LYSAGHT, Paddy; Limerick's bacon factories. Old Limerick Journal, No. 15, Spring 1984, pp.10—12]. | *[http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/Media,3962,en.pdf LYSAGHT, Paddy; Limerick's bacon factories. Old Limerick Journal, No. 15, Spring 1984, pp.10—12]. | ||
*Guiry, Ruth [2016] / co-edited by Dr Maura Cronin and Jacqui Hayes; Pigtown – A History of Limerick’s Bacon Industry. Limerick City and County Council, 2016 | *Guiry, Ruth [2016] / co-edited by Dr Maura Cronin and Jacqui Hayes; Pigtown – A History of Limerick’s Bacon Industry. Limerick City and County Council, 2016 | ||
*[http://www.limerickcity.ie/Library/LocalStudies/LocalStudiesFiles/B/BaconIndustry/ www.limerickcity.ie - Bacon Industry] | |||
==Sources of Information== | ==Sources of Information== |
Latest revision as of 13:26, 6 November 2017
1831 Shaw and Sons of Mulgrave Street was founded by William John Shaw (died 1869).
1892 Shaw's factory was well ahead of its time using telecommunications, electric lights, a miniature railway, and lifts in its premises.
Alexander William Shaw (27 October 1847–29 November 1923) was the second son of John Shaw (son of W.J. Shaw) of Willowbank, bacon merchant. The family firm was thriving when he took it over and under his management it grew to become one of the largest bacon curing businesses in Europe. Alex. Shaw was also a very prominent businessman in Limerick, a local politician, and founder of Limerick and Lanhinch golf clubs.[1]
The business is now owned by the Kerry Group.
See Also
- LYSAGHT, Paddy; Limerick's bacon factories. Old Limerick Journal, No. 15, Spring 1984, pp.10—12.
- Guiry, Ruth [2016] / co-edited by Dr Maura Cronin and Jacqui Hayes; Pigtown – A History of Limerick’s Bacon Industry. Limerick City and County Council, 2016
- www.limerickcity.ie - Bacon Industry