Waterford, Limerick and Western Railway: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
Main line from Waterford to Sligo. | Main line from Waterford to Sligo. | ||
1845 Incorporated as [[ | 1845 Incorporated as [[Waterford and Limerick Railway]]. | ||
1896 Became '''Waterford Limerick and Western Railway'''. | 1896 Became '''Waterford Limerick and Western Railway'''. | ||
The following lines were worked by the Waterford and Limerick to make up the 'North Kerry’ line to Tralee:<ref>Outline of Irish Railway History by H. C. Casserley, Chapter 4 pp.78—85 (1974).</ref> | The following lines were worked by the Waterford and Limerick to make up the 'North Kerry’ line to Tralee:<ref>Outline of Irish Railway History by H. C. Casserley, Chapter 4 pp.78—85 (1974).</ref> | ||
*Limerick & Foynes, incorporated on 4 August 1853 and opened in 1856. | * [[Limerick and Foynes Railway|Limerick & Foynes]], incorporated on 4 August 1853 and opened in 1856. | ||
*Rathkeale & Newcastle Junction, incorporated on 22 July 1861 and opened in 1867. | * [[Rathkeale and Newcastle Junction Railway|Rathkeale & Newcastle Junction]], incorporated on 22 July 1861 and opened in 1867. | ||
*Limerick & North Kerry, incorporated on 5 July 1865 and opened in December 1880. | * [[Limerick and North Kerry Railway|Limerick & North Kerry]], incorporated on 5 July 1865 and opened in December 1880. | ||
1887 A branch from Tralee to Fenit was opened at 8 miles in length. | 1887 A branch from Tralee to Fenit was opened at 8 miles in length. |
Revision as of 15:21, 10 November 2017
Main line from Waterford to Sligo.
1845 Incorporated as Waterford and Limerick Railway.
1896 Became Waterford Limerick and Western Railway.
The following lines were worked by the Waterford and Limerick to make up the 'North Kerry’ line to Tralee:[1]
- Limerick & Foynes, incorporated on 4 August 1853 and opened in 1856.
- Rathkeale & Newcastle Junction, incorporated on 22 July 1861 and opened in 1867.
- Limerick & North Kerry, incorporated on 5 July 1865 and opened in December 1880.
1887 A branch from Tralee to Fenit was opened at 8 miles in length.
Eight 2-4-0 locomotives were built by Dubs between 1889 and 1893:[2]
Engine No. | Name |
10 | Sir James |
20 | Callee More |
22 | Era |
23 | Slieve-Na-Mon |
43 | Knockma |
44 | Nephin |
47 | Carrick Castle |
48 | Cranston |
Three 4-4-0s were built by Kitson in 1896-7, no 53 Jubilee, 54 Killemnee and 55 Bernard, which became GSWR 296-8, also losing their names. (No 297 was scrapped in 1928 but the other two lasted until 1949.)[3]
1891 Vulcan Foundry built two 2-4-2 tank engines: 13 Derry Castle and 14 Lough Derg for the Limerick-Tralee line
1895 Kitson and Co built two 0-4-4 tank engines for the Tuam service: 51 Castle Hacket and 52 Brian Boru.
1896-7 16 Rocklands, 17 Faugh a Ballagh, 18 Geraldine and 21 Castle Blarney built by Robinson and Kitson and Co.
1895-7 Dubs built four 0-6-0s: 45 Colleen Baton, 46 Erin Go Bragh, 49 Dreadnought and 50 Hercules.
1897-9 Kitson and Co built four 0-6-0s: 56 Thunderer, 57 Cyclops, 58 Goliath, 2 Shannon.
1901 Amalgamated with and became part of the Great Southern and Western Railway.(Route: 342 miles).
See Also
Sources of Information
- Outline of Irish Railway History by H. C. Casserley, Chapter 4 pp.78—85 (1974). (available in the SMCL)