Neidpath Viaduct
near Peebles
This is a very fine masonry viaduct crossing the River Tweed in an attractive location just west of Peedles.
Built in 1863 for the Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway (Caledonian Railway from 1866) and opened in February 1864. Designed by Bruce and Cunningham, Edinburgh Consulting Engineers. William Scott of Kilmarnock was the contractor. The Resident Engineer, Robert Murray, undertook the detailed design of the complex masonry.
It has eight skewed arches, and is built on a curve. The parapets are topped by slender cast iron railings.
1954 Closed. The trackbed is used as part of a heritage trail.
There are two other old bridges in close proximity: Old Manor Brig or Roman Bridge, and Manor Bridge.