Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,717 pages of information and 247,131 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Ernest Latham (1885-1950)

From Graces Guide
Revision as of 09:40, 2 September 2015 by PaulF (talk | contribs)

Ernest Latham (1885-1950)


1951 Obituary [1]

"ERNEST LATHAM was for many years in practice as a consulting engineer in Westminster, specializing in the construction of coast defence works, harbours, and maritime engineering generally. He was educated at the City and Guilds College, South Kensington, and after a year's experience in the drawing office of Messrs. S. Pearson and Sons, contractors, joined the staff of the English Standards Committee as an assistant. In 1906 he was appointed chief assistant to Mr. A. E. Carey, consulting engineer, and two years later became a junior partner, continuing, however, to give his services as technical assistant to the English Standards Committee.

During the first two years of the 1914-18 war, he was adjutant of the 2/25th County of London Regiment. Later he served as assistant superintendent in the building works department at the Royal Arsenal and finally as chief dilution officer for Wales and Monmouthshire. He then returned to his practice in Westminster as senior partner in which he continued to be engaged until 1940 when he became a chief divisional inspector for the Ministry of Labour. More recently his services as consultant had been retained in connection with the reconstruction of piers at seaside resorts.

Mr. Latham, whose death in his sixty-sixth year occurred on 8th July 1950, was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1913 and transferred to Membership in 1924. He was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers."


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information