Lampeter, Aberayron and New Quay Light Railway
This 12 mile line ran from Lampeter to Aberayron and opened in 1911.
The line lay in rural southern Shropshire. The railway's course runs parallel with the Severn Valley Railway, which lies to the east of it. The junction was Cleobury Mortimer which lay on the GWR's Tenbury Wells-Bewdley line. Ditton Priors, appeared on the railway map at a rather late stage, the line was not opened until 1908.
Originally the line was worked by two Manning, Wardle 0-6-0STs. The line was absorbed into the GWR at the Grouping in 1922. The main freight traffic was stone from the quarries in this part of the Clee Hills.
Passenger traffic ceased in 1938, and goods in 1939.
See Also
Sources of Information
- Encyclopedia of British Railway Companies by Christopher Awdry. Published 1990
- [1] Wikipedia