Nechells Power Station

Later in the 20th century Nechells was chosen as the location of two gasworks, in Windsor Street and Nechells Place, and two coal-fired power stations situated on land now occupied by the Star City complex.
The first power station was opened by the Prince of Wales in 1923 and a larger plant, known as Nechells "B", opened in 1954. A small railway network was used by both power stations for the transport of coal from the main line railway at Saltley and within the plant. The power stations closed in 1982, but a steam locomotive used at the site, "Nechells No.4", has been preserved and is operating on the Chasewater Railway in Staffordshire.[1]
1923 Power station - Initial capacity of 75 megawatts - subsequently enlarged to 130 MW.