Somervell Brothers

of Netherfield, Kendal
- Makers of K Shoes.
- 1842 Robert Miller Somervell opened a "Shoemaking Accessories Merchant and Leather Factor" business.
- 1845 The company moved to Netherfield in Kendal.
- 1848 The company became Somervell Brothers, a partnership between brothers Robert and John Somervell.
- 1865 The company, now a manufacturer of shoes, began to use its "K" logo.
- c1900 The Somervell brothers died, the company was by this time manufacturing 175,000 pairs of shoes a year.
- 1920 A new factory was built in Lancaster.
- 1949 Company becomes K Shoes Ltd.
- 1981 Company merged with Clarks Shoes.
See Also
Sources of Information
- Trademarked. A History of Well-Known Brands - from Aertex to Wright's Coal Tar by David Newton. Pub: Sutton Publishing 2008 ISBN 978-0-7509-4590-5