Old Spey Bridge, Fochabers
Carried the former A96 (T) over the River Spey on the western outskirts of Fochabers
Built by George Burn in 1801-4. In 1829 the Muckle Spate washed away the two western arches.
The two failed arches were replaced in 1832 by a single three-ribbed timber arch of 185 ft span designed by Archibald Simpson. The timber arch was replaced by cast iron in the mid-1850s, retianing the two masonry arches and one cast-iron arch span.[1]
One source states that the timber arch was reconstructed in cast iron by James Hoby & Co in 1853. [2]
See Canmore entry for much more information.
See here for an excellent series of photographs showing details of the bridge and its iron and steel structure[3]. It is clear from these photographs that at some point angle section steelwork has been attached to the cast iron structure.