Wishaw Iron Works
Wishaw Iron Works at Wishaw
- 1858 The Wishaw Ironworks opened by Robert Bell with 3 blast furnaces using ironstone from a pit on the opposite side of Wishaw main street.
- 1861 Iron works closed.
- 1864 Taken over by the Glasgow Iron Co, from St Rollox, who also operated a malleable iron works in Milton Street, Motherwell.
- 1870s The Wishaw ironstone was poorer quality and was exhausted by the 1870s, after which ironstone was sourced from Carluke and from Liberton and Lasswade, near Edinburgh.
- 1879 John Williams built 3 open hearth furnaces at Exelsior in Wishaw
- 1930 Closed
For the number of blast furnaces, see Lanarkshire Iron Works
See Also
Sources of Information
- [1] Clydebridge Steel Work history