A. G. Parker and Co
of Bisley Works, Whittall Street, Birmingham. Telephone: Central 7162. Cables: "Riflemen"
1880 The Company was founded. The firm initially traded from premises in Icknield Street, Birmingham and was joined by Arthur T. C. Hale, who was manager by 1910.
A. T. C. Hale became a director at some point prior to 1925. A. G. Parker's son, Alfred J. Parker, was also working in the business by the latter half of the century's first decade.
By 1910, young Alfred was designing aperture sights for the firm and performing remarkably at Bisley with a 'Long' Lee-Enfield fitted with one of his own sights. They moved to Whittal Street at about this time. This address became that of the famous "Bisley Works" subsequently stamped on so many of the company's products. The product range became most comprehensive and included all mannner of especially built target service rifles, sights and ancillaries, imported and other British manufacturers' rifles, cleaning and maintenance paraphernalia, targetry, ammunition and, of course, Parkerifling.
WWI. Alfred Parker served in Belgium and France in the First World War and survived to return to the family business.
Prior to 1928, Alfred left to set up his own company; Alfred J. Parker and Co.
1929 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of .22 Rifles, Rifle Tubes, Aperture sights, Cleaning-rods, Shot Gun Rods, covered with celluloid, Horn and flexible Jags, Rifle Vices, Telescope Stands, Aiming Devices, Armourers' Tools, Targets, Precision Machine parts. (Stand No. B.54)
Around 1930, Arthur Hale's involvement with A. G. Parker had reached a significance which led to the change of company name to Parker-Hale; so it has remained to this day. It seems that there must have been some distancing between A. G. Parker and his son and, although their product ranges were quite similar, many identical items were separately named where probably bought in. Alfred offered an equivalent barrel re-lining service for small-bore rifles but, whilst his father's refurbished barrels were stamped on the crown.
See Also
Sources of Information
- [1] The U.K. N.R.A. Historic Arms Resource Centre
- 1929 British Industries Fair Page 131