Carmarthenshire Railway
The Carmarthenshire Railway or Tramway began operating as a horse-drawn railway, linking Alexander Raby’s iron furnace in the village of Cwmddyche (later Furnace) to his shipping place on the coast.
It was later incorporated into the Carmarthenshire Railway when an Act of Parliament was passed in June, 1802, allowing its construction. The railway linked Raby’s furnace and various collieries to important mineral sources in the Great Mountain area, Cross Hands.
The railway, the earliest operating public railway in Great Britain, consisted of horse-drawn wagons running on cast iron tram-plates. The Railroad was later replaced by the Llanelly and Mynydd Mawr Railway, which ceased operating on the closure of the Cynheidre Colliery.
See Also
Sources of Information
- 1873-81: minutes held in National Archives