Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,701 pages of information and 247,104 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Forest Products Research Laboratory

From Graces Guide
Revision as of 08:39, 18 June 2016 by PaulF (talk | contribs)

The earliest work undertaken by the [[Department of Scientific and Industrial Research[[ in the field of timber research was that into kilning and physical tests of timber carried out by the Building Materials Research Committee.

1918 the department established a separate organisation for timber research; a consultant on timber research was appointed and investigations were undertaken into the qualities of home-grown timbers and kiln seasoning of timber.

1921 Establishment of a Forest Products Research Board, with Professor J.B. Farmer as chairman and acting director.

A limited amount of research work was carried out at various university laboratories

1923 Recognising a need for mechanical testing and large scale seasoning, accommodation was provided for a small research group at the Royal Aircraft Establishment.

1927 a central Forest Products Research Laboratory was established at Princes Risborough, Bucks.


In 1958 the Forest Products Research Board ceased to function. The laboratory's field of operations was reduced, and its responsibilities for certain aspects of applied research and advisory services passed to the Timber Development Association (formed in 1934 by the Timber Trades Federation to promote the increased use of timber), and the board was replaced by a small steering committee (the joint Forest Products Research Laboratory-Forestry Commission Committee), set up to co-ordinate research into home-grown timbers.

On the dissolution of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research in 1965, the laboratory was transferred to the control of the Ministry of Technology. In 1970, it was transferred to the Department of Trade and Industry and to the Department of the Environment in January 1971. In the following year it was amalgamated with the Building Research Station and the Fire Research Station to form the Building Research Establishment, but retained its separate identity as the Princes Risborough Laboratory. In 1989 the laboratory moved to the main Building Research Establishment premises in Garston, near Watford, and thereafter it ceased to have any separate identity

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information