Kingston-upon-Hull Gas Light Co
1821 The Kingston-upon-Hull Gas Light Company was formed as an oil-gas company. An Act of Parliament was obtained. The authorised area of supply was the 'old town' of Hull and the townships of Myton and Sculcoates.
By 1828, the oil gas process had proved uneconomic and John Malam was invited to convert the works from oil to coal and to operate it under a lease.
1842 After Malam's death the company took over direct management of the undertaking.
1898, the undertaking was sold to the Hull Corporation.
A bulk supply of gas was negotiated and the works closed (the works site was wanted for a new town hall).
1902 The British Gas Light Co purchased the Cottingham Gas Company
1934 The British Gas Light Co purchased the gas undertaking from the Hull Corporation.
A third gas company, the East Hull Gas Co (formerly the Sutton, Southcoates and Drypool GC) operated alongside the British GLC
1949, the British GLC, Hull vested in the Eastern Gas Board - where the majority of British GLC undertakings were located - and transferred to NEGB in Jun 1951.