Mertoun Bridge


near St. Boswells, west of Kelso, Scottish Borders
Takes the B6404 road from St Boswells to Mertoun over the River Tweed.
The sandstone bridge has five shallow (large radius) segmental arches. The masonry piers have rounded cutwaters.
The arches have a remarkably small rise of just 6 ft for a span of 70 ft. As originally built in 1839–41, by William Smith of Montrose, it had wooden arches. The three arch ribs had five laminations of 12 in. by 6 in., bound together with iron straps. These supported a wooden deck. The designer, James Slight of Edinburgh, made provision in the design for replacing the timber with masonry if required at a later date.[1]
For more information, see Canmore entry[2]
The old Mertoun Mill and an oblique weir are loacted a short distance upstream.
1886 'The Mertoun Bridge. — As formerly reported great damage was done by a heavy flood in the Tweed to the works in connection with the new bridge at Mertoun. Under a different method, the work of reconstruction has since been vigorously prosecuted in supporting the centres, and which has been so successfully carried out that the keystone of the last arch was placed on Saturday forenoon; and now, with the exception of the service bridge, the works are so far advanced as to be practically independent of any flood that may occur.'[3]
The contractors for rebuilding the bridge were W. and T. Adams of Callander.[4]