Heavitree Brewery
ca.1790 Originally the ‘Heavitree Family Brewery’, it was founded by John Wolland in Church Street, Heavitree.
Succeeded by his nephew William who was followed into the company by his son Thomas.
Later passed to Thomas’s nephew Robert Baker who ran the business until 1890.
1890 February 07th. Incorporated as ‘The Heavitree Brewery Limited’ was formed.
1892 November 19th. Acquired the Finch Eagle Brewery
1899 January 09th. Acquired the Windsor Brewery
1920 March 30th. Acquired W. S. Pinsent’s Newton Abbot Brewery
Management taken over by John Parnell Tucker, who, as a supplier of malt to the brewery, was already a shareholder and main creditor. Together with former Andover Brewery owner H. C. Hammans
1926 July 30th Acquired the Dawlish Brewery of R. B. Ferris
Acquired Barlett’s Dartmouth Warfleet Brewery.
John Parnell Tucker was joined in the business by his nephew Edwin Tucker, who later become chairman in 1954.
The company ceased brewing operations in May 1970 and became entirely focused on managing the tenanted pubs estate.