Fastnet Lighthouse








on Fastnet Rock, Co Cork
The present lighthouse, completed in 1904, was designed by William Douglass. It was erected under the supervision of James Kavanagh, foreman mason, who lived on the site almost continuously from 1896 to June 1903. He left the site feeling ill, and died a few weeks later. Construction started with the levelling of the site, and the first of 2,047 granite dovetailed blocks was laid in June 1899. The blocks were supplied by John Freeman, Sons and Co of Penryn, Cornwall. Chance Brothers and Co supplied the lantern and related equipment.[1]