North Mill, Belper











Derwent Valley Visitor Centre, Bridgefoot, Belper, Derbyshire, DE56 1YD.
The original North Mill, a cotton mill completed in 1786 by Jedediah Strutt, was destroyed by fire in 1803. Its replacement was built in 1804 by his son, William Strutt, on the foundations of the old mill. It is a very early example of a 'fireproof' five storey structure. The Strutt family were friends with Charles Bage, an engineer from Shrewsbury, who provided advice on the design and construction.
The photos show the 'modular' construction system: Cast iron beams, of inverted T section, locate on vertical cast iron columns; brick jack arches springing from the iron beams support the floor; the columns are tied together by wrought iron rods cecured by tapered cotters.
The mill was originally powered by a huge waterwheel.