Devonport Dockyard: Spinning House
The Spinning House built in 1763-72 was damaged by fire, and in 1812 Edward Holl set about rebuilding it as the EAST ROPERY using 'fireproof' construction. The internal iron framework was completed in 1817.
The three-storey building has stone walls and cast iron floor beams, supported at mid-span by cast iron columns. The beams, of inverted T-section, have an elliptically-arched upper profile. Square sockets cast in the webs support secondary cast iron joists. These supported stone flag floors.
See Historic England listing here
See Also
Sources of Information
- 'Building the Steam Navy' by David Evans, Conway Maritime Press and English Heritage, 2004, pp.42-3