Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,720 pages of information and 247,131 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

George Henry Strick

From Graces Guide
Revision as of 15:03, 14 March 2023 by Ait (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

George Henry Strick (1854-1940)


1940 Obituary.[1]

GEORGE HENRY STRICK died on May 3, 1940, at Cheltenham, in his eighty-sixth year. He was born on December 26, 1854, and was educated at Swansea Grammar School and Winchester College, and from 1872 to 1874 studied chemistry at Dresden Technical University. He then went to France and worked at the Terre Noire Steelworks under the guidance of Alexandre Pourcel, the friendship with whom he retained until Pourcel’s death, sixty years later. In 1875 he returned to England and, after a short period at the Dowlais Works joined his father in the management of the Amman Iron and Tinplate Works at Brynamman. The pig iron produced at these- works was then largely used for the manufacture of charcoal bars, a trade which ceased about 1882, when charcoal bars were no longer made. In the following years Amman pig iron was mainly supplied to the makers of chilled rolls, both in South Wales and in the Midlands. In 1891, however, the works closed down owing to changing circumstances, in particular the introduction of steel in the place of wrought iron. Mr. Strick remained the manager of the tinplate works until that also ceased working in 1897. He then went to Ystalyfera to take over the management, of the Gyrnos Tinplate Co., Ltd., which he retained until 1923, when he retired from active work and went to live in Cheltenham; he remained, however, a director of the company.

In the course of his career Mr. Strick held a number of public appointments. From 1878 to 1896 he was a member of the Llandovery Board of Guardians. He was appointed a magistrate for the County of Glamorgan in 1882, for Carmarthen in 1883 and for Breconshire in 1909, and he was one of the first magistrates to form the newly constituted Petty Sessional Division at Ammanford. He was a member of the Licensing Committee of the County of Glamorgan for some years after the passing of the Licensing Act in 1904, and he later became, for some years, a member of the Standing Joint Committee.

Mr. Strick was a warm supporter of The Iron and Steel Institute ; he was also one of the oldest members, for his election took place in 1876.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. 1940 Journal of the Iron and Steel Institute