Llandegai Tramway
The earliest predecessor to the Penrhyn Quarry Railway was the mile long 2 ft 0.5 in gauge Llandegai tramway which was built in 1798.
The tramway was connected to a local flint mill that ground clay and chert into flints. These were transported to Porth Penrhyn on the coast by the tramway, which was one of the earliest overground railways in Britain. It included two balanced gravity inclines one from the floor of the Cegin valley near Llandegai to the hills above Bangor, the other dropping from there to the mill.
Both inclines used vertically mounted winding drums.
Sources of Information
- [1] Wikipedia