1891 Cotton Mills in Middleton
NOTE: This page is scanned from the original and may contain some errors due to that process
BLEACHERS, DYERS, FINISHERS, etc
- Obadiah Ashworth and Co. (bleachers, finishers, embossers, &c.), Rhodes Bleach and Dye Works, Middleton; and East India Finishing Works, Medlock bridge, Sackville street, Manchester; Manchester warehouse-37, Lever street.
- Booth and Co. (dyers and polishers), Irk Vale Dye Works, Manchester Old Road; and West Gorton Mills, Manchester. Pay day first Monday.
- Chadwick and Smith, Boarshaw Bleach and Dye Works. Accounts sent by post.
- Cocker and Co, Marsh Street Silk Finishing Works, Tonge; Manchester office-10, Gore street, Piccadilly.
- Dickins and Co. (dyers, cotton polishers and bleachers), Spring Vale and Springwood Works. Telegrams, "Dickins, Middleton."
- John Gorton, -Exors. of- (dyers and polishers of cotton yarns), Lark Hill Works, Middleton; Manchester office-12, Brazennose street.
- Heaton Mills Bleaching Co -Cawley Brothers-, Heaton; Manchester office-6, Pall Mall.
- Irkdale Bleach Works Co., Limited, Irk Dale Works; Manchester office-74, Faulkner st. Pay days- Middleton, first Saturday, 11-30 to 12; Manchester, first Tuesday, 2-30 to 3.
- Jopson and Ashworth (warp dyers, bleachers and sizers), Kid Clough.
- Kay and Smith (bleachers and finishers), Lands End Works, Rhodes.
- Samuel Lawton and Sons, (general finishers and embossers), Cross Street Works; Manchester office-2, Stevenson square. Pay day second Tuesday, 2-30 to 3.
- Mather, Ormesher and Co. (dyers and manufacturers of glace yarns, sewings, &c.), Bridge Mill; Manchester warehouse-11, Chapel walks. Accounts paid weekly.
- Wrigley and Ashton (silk and cotton dyers), Burton Dye Works, Wood street.
- Salis Schwabe and Co.(and bleachers, dyers and finishers), Rhodes Works ; Manchester office-41, George street. Pay day last Friday.
COTTON SPINNERS AND MANUFACTURERS
- Albany Spinning Co, Limited, Albany Mill; 63,900 spindles, 308/408 twist, 408 608 weft. Pay day, Thursday after last Wednesday, by cheque. Telegrams, "Albany, Middleton." Samuel Smethurst, manager; Robert Partington, secretary.
- Richard Ashworth and Sons, Tonge and Britannia Mills, Middleton; and Bradshaw Mill, Alkrington; 430 looms, ginghams, checks and stripes; Manchester office-36, Bloom street. Pay days Tuesdays and Fridays.
- Aspell and Sons, Tonge Mills; 285 looms, bed ticks, checks,stripes and coloured goods. Pay day last Fri.
- Irk Mill Co, Limited; 35,000 spindles, 548/608 weft. Pay day third Wednesday. Alfred Barlow, manager; William Schofield, secretary.
- Middleton and Tonge Cotton Mill Co, Limited, Dane Mills; 186,628 spindles, 328/50, twist,321/608 weft. Pay day second Wednesday. Telegrams, "Dane, Middleton." Alfred Shaw, manager of Nos. 1, 2 and 3 mills; Michael Neville, manager of No. 4 mill; Benjamin Simpson, secretary and salesman.
- Rhodes Manufacturing Co, Limited, Union Mills, Rhodes; 370 looms. Pay day last Friday. Joseph Wolstencroft, manager; George Foxton, sec.
- Tonge Vale Spinning Co, Limited, Tonge; 60,780 spindles, 408 twist. Pay day third Thursday, by cheque. E. Stott, manager; W. Worsley, secretary.
- Townley Mill Co, Limited, Townley Mill; 56,448 spindles. Pay day last Wed. T. D. Readett, manager; John Neild, sec. and salesman.
- Wilton Manufacturing Co, Townley street; 600 looms, plain calicoes, twills, stripes, dobbies, jacquards, &c. Pay day Friday. J. H. Stott, manager ; J. Ashworth, secretary
- Robert Hilton, (dress silks, umbrella silks, and hatters' trimmings), Glebe street, Woodside.
- Walker Hulton, (smallwares, and hatters and tailors' trimmings), Fielding Street and Parkfield Mills, Middleton; and Albion Mills, Prestwich ; Manchester office-79, Piccadilly.
- By. Kay and Co. (hatters' trimmings, &c.), Spring gardens.
- A. Stansfield, (hat trimmings), Manchester Old road.
- John and Isaac Thorpe (coloured galloons, umbrella silks, &c.), Spring Gardens Silk Mill; Manchester office-7, Hilton street, Oldham street.